We are seeking a Substitute Program Aide for our Studio 700 Center for the Arts, which serves adults (ages 18 and above) with intellectual and developmental disabilities in the Roseville area.
Under general supervision of the Assistant Director, assist clients with intellectual and developmental disabilities in their development of artistic skills on an individual or small group basis and do related work as required.
The person in this position must a great deal of empathy; must exercise careful judgment while giving individualized attention to clients in the areas of personal growth and development. This person must provide a learning environment focused on specific creative subjects in a small group setting that allows for individual differences and promotes respect for the value and dignity of each client.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide Assistant Director with information to aid in the assessment of clients’ strengths and also areas where improvement is possible. Be responsible for the documentation of client progress and assessing client skills by keeping samples of their work.
- Communicate with Program Instructors and other staff to provide a detailed assessment of clients for ISPs and 6-month progress reports.
- Work cooperatively with all program staff to ensure client ISP goals are achieved.
- Maintain assigned client files accurately by following the client case file checklist.
- Maintain class activities independent of other classes by creating and implementing a monthly calendar of activities.
- Accurately and thoroughly document clients’ daily activities.
- Provide art class activities independent of other classes. Instruction should be geared towards individual clients’ artistic abilities and in accordance with person-centered planning.
- Help establish and facilitate client goals on an individual or small group basis including self-advocacy, community integration, and employment training.
- Participate in two art shows each year.
- Take clients to public places for learning and entertaining experiences in accordance with HCBS regulations.
- Assist clients physically on outings as well as in the center to enable their participation in the community and program activities including, pushing wheelchairs and assisting with personal hygiene, which may include lifting, carrying, bending, and supporting the weight of the clients when needed.
- Assist clients in their ability to increase their communication and social-development skills by using words or signs appropriate to the clients’ specific needs in order to engage them in program activities.
- Attend meetings and training sessions as required.
- Employ information learned in training and meetings, including but not limited to positive behavior support.
- Assist clients in preparing lunch and basic classroom cleaning.
- Maintain equipment.
- Safely transport clients in a company vehicle, personal vehicle and on public transportation.
- Monitor materials in stock; plan and request needed supplies one month ahead.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Report to work on time and be ready to work.
- Regularly attend work.
- Must read, speak, write and comprehend English at a 12th-grade level.
- Perform other duties as required by the Assistant Director or designated representatives.
- Function as a collaborative member of the department team and the organization as a whole.
- Adhere to The Arc of Placer County code of ethics adopted March 2004.
- Effectively receive supervision.
- Able to lift up to 45 pounds.
- Must be able to physically assist fellow staff on outings and in the center including, pushing wheelchairs, assisting people with walkers, pushing, bending and lifting as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
Must be a high school graduate. Work experience in the field of developmental disabilities is preferred. Art experience is needed and must demonstrate artistic abilities in a variety of art mediums. Knowledge of creative arts, motor development, self-care education; communications; social development; first aid; hand tools; basic psychology; functional living skills; and the characteristic of disabilities. Valid California Driver’s License and auto insurance. CPR and First Aid certification (training provided).
Must be able to pass a background check, medical clearance and provide proof of clear TB.
Classification: Called as needed. Non-exempt.
$13.00/hr, called as needed up to 5 hrs/day, Monday-Friday 9:30-2:30
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject heading “Substitute Program Aide – Studio 700”. No phone calls, please.